We are looking for an experienced and passionate engineer with an eye for design that can preferably work with WordPress to join our team!
As a front-end developer, you will handle the development, maintenance, and management of new and existing CMS websites. This includes front-end and back-end development, as well as infrastructure and hosting. Some of the tasks for this role include configuring, creating, or modifying themes and plugins, optimizing sites based on requirements and user traffic, setting up and configuration of various infrastructure resources associated with a site, maintaining site security, and keeping backups up to date.
As an engineer, you are expected to have a good grasp of web development; including understanding of vanilla HTML/CSS/JS and PHP, as well as the frameworks related to WordPress. You will have to produce solutions that sometimes require extension of WordPress instead of installing off-the-shelf themes and plugins.
You are also expected to have a strong understanding of the latest trends in content management systems and website development.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Setup and configure infrastructure and installations for WordPress and other CMS sites
- Configure, create, or modify WordPress themes and plugins
- Configure third-party tools such as analytics and social media that WordPress or other CMS sites installations connect to
- Optimize site performance based on both functional and non-functional requirements
- Maintain site security through regular updates
- Maintain site backups
- Monitor website performance and uptime
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Work within a project team to develop, enhance and support websites of high quality for client and internal projects
- Problem-solve and think laterally as part of a team, or individually to meet the needs of the project
- Work within project timelines and budget constraints
- Adhere to the company’s coding standards
- Attend and actively contribute to client and internal team meetings
- Study for exams for certification should the opportunity be provided by the company
- Document release and deployment procedures and assist fellow developers with the writing of technical specifications
- Highlight potential opportunities and project risks to management
- Assist with project estimation (time/budget) pre-sales opportunities
- Contribute to the development of the team
- Broaden your technical knowledge by researching libraries, frameworks, and languages, and put forward knowledge of industry trends to help the organization be market leaders
- Provide opinions, concepts, and recommendations by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends in technology and human behavior
- Proactively contribute to the general work culture at Skykomish, Inc.
- Other related duties assigned to you
Skills and Qualifications
- A strong understanding of front-end technologies, primarily but not limited to HTML/CSS/JS and jQuery
- A strong understanding of back-end technologies, primarily PHP
- A strong understanding of databases, primarily MySQL
- A strong understanding of WordPress and its internals
- A strong understanding of WordPress theme and plugin development
- Proficient understanding of source control, primarily Git
- Proficient in pixel-perfect conversion of comprehensive layouts into working websites
- Experience in designing and developing responsive websites
- Experience in cross-browser and cross-platform website development
- Experience in developing and interacting with RESTFUL APIs
- Experience with website analytics and telemetry such as Google Analytics or MixPanel
- Experience with custom post types, custom fields, WordPress theme development and REST API
- Experience with website performance insight tools is a huge plus
- Experience with performance monitoring tools is a huge plus
- Experience with cloud hosting environments such as Azure, AWS (Amazon Web Services), or GCP (Google Cloud Platform) is a huge plus
- Experience integrating with 3rd party services such as Salesforce, Xero, Stripe, PayPal, or Square is a huge plus
- Experience integrating with 3rd party eCommerce solutions such as Shopify or WooCommerce is a huge plus
- Familiarity with Azure DevOps, Asana or similar Agile project management tools
Please send your most updated CV to [email protected]. Providing a cover letter is highly encouraged.